Thread: Cricket Around The World

Dushmantha Chameera, who has played only one ODI, has replaced the injured Dhammika Prasad in SL's CWC 15 squad!
    Hasta la vista, baby. I'll be back.

Day 02 Warm-Up Results:

NZ v Zim: Match Abandoned

SA v SL: SA won by 5 wickets

Eng v WI: Eng won by 9 wickets

Ban v Pak: Pak won by 3 wickets

MS Dhoni holds a ODI Batting Average of 51.83 in Australia, 76.00 in New Zealand - 59.88 in Aus & NZ together!

Amazing!!

Still looking to get its playing combination in order, an under-fire India will be looking for resurrection against first timers Afghanistan in a warm-up game before the cricket World Cup, here on Tuesday.

punitgerg is offline Super Moderator
    Mr. Wonder 2010, Mr. Glorious 2011 (Twice), Mr. Chit Chatter 2013, Thread of Threads (Main) 2013

Breakloose is offline Golden Member
    Donor, Mr. Chitchatter 2012, Mr.Masalaboard 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by punitgerg View Post
    so first win of the season tomorrow ?
    You never know

Breakloose is offline Golden Member
    Donor, Mr. Chitchatter 2012, Mr.Masalaboard 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator 2 View Post
    Still looking to get its playing combination in order, an under-fire India will be looking for resurrection against first timers Afghanistan in a warm-up game before the cricket World Cup, here on Tuesday.
    Dhawan, Rohit, Kohli, Rahane, Raina, Dhoni, Ashwin, Axar/Binny, Bhuvi, Mohit, Shami

this team would do it

Quote Originally Posted by punitgerg View Post
    so first win of the season tomorrow ?
    Hopefully....but Afghanistan is not a bad team these days.

World Cup 2015: India opt to bat against Afghanistan in second warm-up game in Adelaide.

Dhoni at the toss: 'We have to play well and find what is the best suited eleven for us. We want to get the most out of this game, see what you can do. We will bat first. I want the middle-order to get a chance to bat. Not worried about getting too many runs on the board. Just want to make the most out of it. All 15 are fit and ready, which is a rarity.'

Quote Originally Posted by Terminator 2 View Post
    Hopefully....but Afghanistan is not a bad team these days.
    In their preparations for a first World Cup appearance, Afghanistan have already won two more matches in Australia than India have managed in a tour lasting nearly three months.

Defeats of a pair of club teams are modest achievements, but given the enormous progress made by Mohammad Nabi's team in recent times, including victories over Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Scotland and Ireland, they will fancy at least pushing India, as they did against Australia in Sharjah in 2012.

The primary reason for Afghanistan's success since their rise through the ranks of the Associate nations has been a superior bowling ensemble. Hamid Hassan and Shapoor Zadran offer a tandem of pace and bounce worthy of most Full Member attacks, and the comparison with India's bowlers, carted for 371 by Australia at Adelaide Oval on Sunday, will be informative. Nabi said his pacemen had already enjoyed the conditions down under, and beyond India, can look forward to facing Australia on the WACA Ground.

Matthew Hayden's interview:

What are your first thoughts on India's World Cup campaign?
    India are no way going to win the World Cup.

Why do you say that?
    Because, every other team has pace battery working for them. India's new ball options are very ordinary. Stuart Binny is not the right bowler to start with. If the wicket is green, like in New Zealand, he can be asked to open the bowling. I think Yadav (Umesh) is an option but I don't think, at this level, Binny is the right choice. This kind of bowling will put immense pressure on the batsmen. Virat Kohli, MS Dhoni, Suresh Raina and Shikhar Dhawan will all be needed to bat out of their skins. They are going to be chasing 380 in every match or will have to give that many runs to their bowlers to defend. It is not fair on the Indian batsmen to be put under so much pressure. That is why I repeat India have no chance to defend the World Cup.

What do you think are the problems with the bowling, discipline, line, length or accuracy?
    Firstly, velocity. Execution of death bowling is another weakness. Kumar (Bhuvneshwar) is capable of doing it - he did bowl some yorkers yesterday but with his pace, he needs to have great variations. The spinning options are quite pretty and they could think about going in with three spinners. Play all three and open with one of them. R Ashiwn has done this many times in the IPL.

But with this sort of bowling India have won the Champions Trophy?
    But in different conditions I suppose. In Australia you need a spearhead. Actually, two spearheads. You had one (Ishant Sharma) and he is out of the competition. Your current bowling attack suits green pitches but when was the last time there was a green wicket here in Australia. I think there has not been one since 1996. We have hard, flat, bouncy and dry pitches where raw pace matters. I can feel sorry for MS. A country of 1.4 billion people cannot produce a strike bowler that the skipper needs to defend the World Cup. In Australia our population is equal to that of Mumbai, but we are spoilt for choice. James Pattinson, who bowls at high 140 and 150, is not there in the squad. Ryan Harris, the best fast bowler in the world according to me, is not part of the team.

What about batting?
    You have got a wonderful batting lineup, one of the best in the tournament. You have enough options there as well, Rahane can bat at any number. Virat should come at No 3 though. You have got some good power hitters as well. Dhoni needs to skip up the order in order to finish the games. You can chase 350 runs but you can't take 10 wickets. I am worried that you may lose to smaller sides (Ireland, UAE, Afghanistan).

Is it a case of exhaustion? The team, touring for three months, may be exhausted?
    Rubbish. It must be same with Australia as well. All sides have been playing non-stop. I actually argue that playing consistently makes you better. I cannot take this excuse of tiredness. If they are tired, then the support staff is not doing a proper job.

So how can India resuscitate their chances in the World Cup? What is the way forward to achieve decent results with these limited bowling resources?
    You have to play to your strengths. Bat, bat, bat. Your headline can be Matt says bat, bat, bat. The Indian team can be destructive with the bat. If you have to chase 380, chase it down. You can't be worried by the fact that you will have to be chasing down big totals. The batsmen have to take all the pressure on their shoulders.

What about other teams?
    South Africa are the favourites, followed by Australia. New Zealand come next and then may be England.