Thread: Cricket Around The World

Worcestershire ditch keeper as Dhoni gives idea for controversial ploy:

England's Moeen Ali hit a dominant 90 off 50 balls - after being dropped before scoring - and took two catches to give Worcestershire their second NatWest T20 Blast victory by 14 runs over winless Northamptonshire at Wantage Road.

But the game will be remembered for one of the strangest field placings seen in English cricket for years.

During Worcestershire's stint in the field, their captain Daryl Mitchell asked wicketkeeper Ben Cox to ditch his gloves and pads and become an extra fielder - leaving no one behind the stumps.

The ploy developed as an extension of MS Dhoni's decision to stand back to the spinners while keeping for India in the Test series in England last summer.

The umpires, after consultation, allowed it. "In a game when you're trying to stop the opposition scoring, it's a legitimate tactic," Steve Rhodes, the Worcestershire director of cricket, said.

Moeen's second over - the 16th of the innings - saw Cox remove gloves and pads and go to fly-slip, with no one standing up to the stumps. Umpires Nick Cook and Graham Lloyd conferred at length and allowed play to continue, with Mitchell persisting in the tactic for the spinners from thereon.

"One of the things I challenged the coaches in the winter to do, was to try and come up with some ideas that might just knock the opposition off their guard a little bit," Rhodes said. "It came about when I watched MS Dhoni stand back to the spinners for India and I thought that was a great idea. Afterwards, he said he wanted another catcher around the corner and he felt he could do that himself, standing back. That's how it started us thinking about it."
    Hasta la vista, baby. I'll be back.

Rahul to miss Bangladesh Test with illness:

KL Rahul will miss India's lone Test in Bangladesh due to an ailment. BCCI secretary Anurag Thakur confirmed that Rahul has "an illness" and will not join the squad. It is understood that the Karnataka batsman is suffering from dengue.

Since the BCCI had asked all the 15 members of the Test squad to report in Kolkata on Saturday for a fitness test, Rahul flew to the city despite the illness. The medical staff ruled him out immediately upon examining his condition.

With the Test squad including M Vijay and Shikhar Dhawan, the selectors, after being consulted by Thakur, decided not to replace Rahul with a reserve opener.

Rahul's illness gives his Sunrisers Hyderabad team-mate Dhawan a shot at comeback after being dropped for the Sydney Test. Dhawan was going through a wretched run of form then, but made a good comeback in the World Cup, scoring 412 runs at 51.50, including two centuries.

Rahul himself had a wretched debut, scoring 3 and 1 in two nervous innings in the Melbourne Test, but came back strongly with a century in Sydney. The only Test in Bangladesh is India's first Test since the Sydney game.

After returning from Australia, Rahul had racked up 838 runs from five Ranji Trophy matches at an average of 93.11, including a triple-century against Uttar Pradesh and 188 against Tamil Nadu in the final.

So I guess the batting order would be:

Vijay
    Dhawan
    Pujara
    Kohli
    Rahane
    Rohit
    Saha

Lots of players performing well at the NatWest T20 Blast!

Bell 90 off 65

Buttler 71* off 35

Bopara 57

Umar Akmal 76* off 49

Moeen 90 off 50

And of course:

punitgerg is offline Moderator
    Mr. Wonder 2010, Mr. Glorious 2011 (Twice), Mr. Chit Chatter 2013, Thread of Threads (Main) 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator 2 View Post
    Worcestershire ditch keeper as Dhoni gives idea for controversial ploy:

England's Moeen Ali hit a dominant 90 off 50 balls - after being dropped before scoring - and took two catches to give Worcestershire their second NatWest T20 Blast victory by 14 runs over winless Northamptonshire at Wantage Road.

But the game will be remembered for one of the strangest field placings seen in English cricket for years.

During Worcestershire's stint in the field, their captain Daryl Mitchell asked wicketkeeper Ben Cox to ditch his gloves and pads and become an extra fielder - leaving no one behind the stumps.

The ploy developed as an extension of MS Dhoni's decision to stand back to the spinners while keeping for India in the Test series in England last summer.

The umpires, after consultation, allowed it. "In a game when you're trying to stop the opposition scoring, it's a legitimate tactic," Steve Rhodes, the Worcestershire director of cricket, said.

Moeen's second over - the 16th of the innings - saw Cox remove gloves and pads and go to fly-slip, with no one standing up to the stumps. Umpires Nick Cook and Graham Lloyd conferred at length and allowed play to continue, with Mitchell persisting in the tactic for the spinners from thereon.

"One of the things I challenged the coaches in the winter to do, was to try and come up with some ideas that might just knock the opposition off their guard a little bit," Rhodes said. "It came about when I watched MS Dhoni stand back to the spinners for India and I thought that was a great idea. Afterwards, he said he wanted another catcher around the corner and he felt he could do that himself, standing back. That's how it started us thinking about it."
    pic plz

Ireland 492 (Joyce 231, Stirling 146, Javed 4-117) beat United Arab Emirates 213 (Anwar 57, Young 4-51) and 253 (Patil 63, Saqib Ali 51, Dockrell 4-93) by an innings and 26 runs.

Quote Originally Posted by punitgerg View Post
    pic plz

punitgerg is offline Moderator
    Mr. Wonder 2010, Mr. Glorious 2011 (Twice), Mr. Chit Chatter 2013, Thread of Threads (Main) 2013

Eoin Morgan's ridiculous late cut against the Brisbane Heat:

1,462 Test runs at an average of 40.61 and a strike-rate of 64.80
    5,088 ODI runs at an average of 39.75 and a strike-rate of 92.44
    337 T20I runs at an average of 48.14 and a strike-rate of 169.34
    2 ICC Cricket World Cup winners medals.

Happy Birthday to one of Australia's finest modern day all-rounders, Andrew Symonds!