Thread: Cricket Around The World

Vs Australia A, scored 87* and 2-42
    and then vs Bangladesh A scored 65 and took 5-29 a couple of months back.
    Hasta la vista, baby. I'll be back.

neothematrix is offline Moderator
    IPL Feast Winner, MB Contest Winner (Twice), IPL 2013 Fantasy Winner, Mr Glorious 2013
    India batsman Virender Sehwag has formally retired from international cricket.

On Tuesday, his 37th birthday, Sehwag made the announcement via Twitter, with a crisp message that said he would no longer play the IPL either.

Sehwag played 104 Tests, 251 ODIs and 19 T20Is, scoring over 17000 international runs and picking up 136 wickets with his offspin.

On Monday, Sehwag had revealed he would be participating in the Masters Champions League, a UAE-based Twenty20 tournament that requires its participants to have retired from all international formats.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally Fab Five era is over...........

There is no doubt that it was Sehwag who revolutionised Indian cricket under the mentorship of Tendulkar and with able guidance of Ganguly.
    Those were the best days of Indian Cricket and mine too .......

The man who simplified cricket batting for the masses. "See the ball, Hit the ball ". The man who made test batting look ridiculously easy to a normal spectator like me.

Like my dad always told me what a player Viv Richards was, I will tell my kids what a legend Sehwag was.

punitgerg is offline Moderator
    Mr. Wonder 2010, Mr. Glorious 2011 (Twice), Mr. Chit Chatter 2013, Thread of Threads (Main) 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator 2 View Post
    Right now there is an option is the squad- Gurkeerat Singh.

25 years old.

Batting average of 50 and 46 in First-class and List A

Bowling average of 24 and 31 resp.

Scored 201* recently.

Would be nice to see him getting a chance.
    Strike rate ?

Quote Originally Posted by punitgerg View Post
    Strike rate ?
    89 in limited overs cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by neothematrix View Post
    India batsman Virender Sehwag has formally retired from international cricket.

On Tuesday, his 37th birthday, Sehwag made the announcement via Twitter, with a crisp message that said he would no longer play the IPL either.

Sehwag played 104 Tests, 251 ODIs and 19 T20Is, scoring over 17000 international runs and picking up 136 wickets with his offspin.

On Monday, Sehwag had revealed he would be participating in the Masters Champions League, a UAE-based Twenty20 tournament that requires its participants to have retired from all international formats.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally Fab Five era is over...........

There is no doubt that it was Sehwag who revolutionised Indian cricket under the mentorship of Tendulkar and with able guidance of Ganguly.
    Those were the best days of Indian Cricket and mine too .......

The man who simplified cricket batting for the masses. "See the ball, Hit the ball ". The man who made test batting look ridiculously easy to a normal spectator like me.

Like my dad always told me what a player Viv Richards was, I will tell my kids what a legend Sehwag was.
    Agreed. Correctly said.

He will always be my test opener in any best all time Test XI.

Sehwag scored 11 consecutive centuries over 150.

One great thing about him was he kept it really simple and that was the way he spoke too. Some good examples here-

There is this story about you declining a nightwatchman, where you said you were not an able batsman if you couldn't last 25 balls at the end of the day. Is that true?

It is true. What is the difference between batting at the end of the day or at the start? If you make a mistake you'll get out. So I don't think a batsman really needs a nightwatchman, but it is totally an individual decision. Whenever a captain or coach asked me for a nightwatchman I would say, "No, why? If I can't survive 10 or 20 balls now, then I don't think I'll survive tomorrow morning." I believe that's the best time when you have the opportunity to score runs, when everybody on the field is tired and you can score 20 runs off those 20 balls.

When you take guard, what goes through your mind?

When I take guard I like to clear all the negative thoughts out of the mind first. That I do by singing a song or a bhajan [hymn]. Then, if there is a ball to be hit I will hit it. It doesn't matter if it is the first, fourth, 12th ball. But if it is a good ball I have to respect it, because you cannot hit every ball.

Do you like the bowlers bowling at you?

I'm very happy if the bowler makes me play because then I get opportunities to hit boundaries. If somebody is constantly bowling outswingers or outside off, even if he is bowling on length, for me it is boring cricket. But if somebody is bowling to me, it is a very, very good opportunity for me to play a lot of options.

Sourav Ganguly once said this about you: "The best way to know how Virender Sehwag's mind works is to sit next to him in the players' balcony when India are batting. Every few minutes he will clutch his head and yell, "Chauka gaya" or "Chhakka gaya". That's his way of expressing disappointment at somebody's failure to take advantage of a ball that he thought deserved to be hit for four or six. That's how he thinks, in fours and sixes."

He was a good reader of the mind, and that's why he was such a great captain. He knew what the player was thinking and he would back him and give him the confidence by saying, "You can play the way you want to play, nobody will touch you, nobody will drop you."

It is absolutely true. Even now, if you ask anyone in the dressing room, I still say the same things. But that is for me, not for the player in the middle because if I was there I could easily hit the ball for a four or six, but I'm not blaming anyone else.

John Wright had a simple way with you. In his book he writes, "All I say is, 'How's your mom, hope she is well? And what are you going to do today?'" He [Sehwag] would say, 'Watch the ball, play straight.'

Because we never discussed cricket it was good. He would come to me and ask how I was feeling. I would say "good". Then he would ask how my mom's back was. I would say, "Little bit of a problem, but she is managing really well." He would then ask, "So what are we going to do tomorrow?" I would say, "Watch the ball and play the ball." I would tell him, if there is a ball to be hit, I will hit it, and as a coach I know you will back me, and you have to back me. We had a lot of laughs.

Did Greg Chappell give you any sort of valuable tips?

No.