Thread: Cricket Around The World

Hasta la vista, baby. I'll be back.

A fan walked up to Viru to take his autograph and he signed on the back of the bat instead of signing on its front and said, ''If I sign it on the front, then you will not play with this bat anymore. So I am signing it on the back.''

Sehwag announced in a press conference that he would score a double century in ODIs. And with such great confidence he managed to achieve this by scoring 219 off 149 balls against West Indies at Indore on 8th Dec, 2011.

No Indian batsmen had made a triple-century before. Sehwag had already gone past VVS Laxman’s record of 281 and was on 295. Sachin Tendulkar told Sehwag during the course of that innings: "If you try to hit a six, I will hit you on the bum." But Sehwag couldn’t stop being himself.

“That is why I didn’t hit sixes in Multan, but when I was near 300 I told him [Tendulkar] that I was going to hit Saqlain [Mushtaq] and he could hit me on my bum!”

Of course, Sehwag hit the next ball for six to become the first India player to make a Test triple-century.

Never seen as a “thinking cricketer”, he did help players think about their game. As a leader, Sehwag wasn’t one for long meetings and over-analysis. During the final over of a tense IPL match, Delhi Daredevils pacer Umesh Yadav asked his skipper where he should bowl. “Bowler tu hai ya main?” shot back Sehwag.

Indian team’s long-time video analyst tells this story about getting a Sehwag call post-dinner on match eve. “Can you come to my room, my computer not working wanted to see something on it,” said Sehwag. He rushes, expecting to see the opener keen to see the frame-by-frame action of a new pacer. “Viru bhai which bowlers you want to see?” inquires the computer man. “No yaar, can’t download this song.”

According to many of his teammates, the last man you wanted to bump into in the dressing-room after getting out to a defensive shot was Sehwag. For, he would be waiting to pounce on you and quip, “Out hi hona tha, to shot maarke hota. Yeh defence karke kya faayda?” (If you had to get out, then you should have at least tried to hit the ball, what's the point of defending the ball.)

When Clarke was sledging Sachin-