Reputation is a system that allows you to rate individual post or appreciate the member for his good work, time and effort . Each member will have a reputation among the other members of MB. You can see the green blocks on the right hand side of each post of a particular member. More the green blocks more reputation you have.
Reputation Levels, the indication of your present Reputation on MB
User is not rated yet .....................(0 Points)
User will be in masala school soon ....(20)
User is in masala pre-school ............(100)
User is in masala elementary school ..(500)
User is in masala middle school ........(2000)
User is in masala high school ...........(6000)
User is in masala junior college .........(12000)
User has diploma in masala ..............(25000)
User has degree in masala ...............(50000)
User has masters in masala ..............(100000)
User has doctorate (Ph.D) in masala ..(200000)
User owns masala university ............(500000)
Move your cursor over the green blocks to see the present reputaion level. Check my green blocks, it shows Chituku has doctorate (Ph.D) in masala.
How many points need for every green box?
When you get :
100 points ..... 2 green chicks
200 points ..... 3 green chicks
300 points ..... 4 green chicks
400 points ..... 5 green chicks
500 points ..... 6 green chicks
After 6 green boxes, for every 200 points one light green chick will increase upto 10. The last and final light green chick will be added after 1500 points. No more increase in the green boxes after reaching maximum 11 boxes and only your reputation points or ranking will increase.
The first 5 dark green boxes indicates your positive/minimum reputation and the light green boxes stands for your higher reputation on MB.
What is the eligibility to rep someone?
You need minimum 100 posts in your account to rep someone..If your posts are less than 100, your rep point will not be added to the total.
How to add Reputation?
If you want to add or appreciate the good work of the mebmer's post, click on the reputation icon 'star button'on the bottom left of every post.
What to mention in the box ?
Whatever you want to write you can but do not forget to mention your name. Otherwise it will be a big confusion to find the reputed person...
Where to Check if someone added reputation to you ?
Can you see the Control Panel with these words at top right of Page?
Welcome ....., Notifications, My Profile, Settings, Log Out. Click on Settings and there will be Latest Reputation Received xxxx points total
What are those green/grey dots?
Green dot shows that you got a reputation from a member who posted more than 100 posts and the total points will increase. The Grey dot indicates that the person who gave you the rep has less than 100 posts and it will not be added to your total rep points.
1. You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to XXXX again : It means you should give reps to 20 other people before giving back to the same person again.
2. You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later : Keep it up my friend. You are a nice appreciater and U have added alloted reps to 20 members in a day i.e 24 hrs. Next day you will get fresh quota again.
3. You cannot give Reputation to the same post twice : You are trying to add reputation to the same post 2 times which is not allowed.
Advantages of Reputation system
1. It would be much easier for Administrator to pick up some members as moderators based on their highest reputation level.
2. It's also easier for new members to see who are the respected and core members of a community, and for that not to be based on post counts or length of service alone.
3. It is possible for someone who has been here a very short time to surpass the reputation of a long serving member... and thus unlike the post counts... it is easy to see that new members are able to become core parts of the community and be visible as such very quickly.
Disadvantages of Reputation system
1. One can give reputation purposely to a member rather than appreciation.
2. One can ask the member to return the reps.
3. One can use his alias IDs to give reputation to the same post several times.
4. Many members spread the reputation among them. You can see here approximately 14000 members got reputation out of 91,560 members on the MB as on 3rd June, 2014.
Thats all my friends and hope this may help you...
Thank you all for your votes to this Award Winning Thread at Masala Board Annual Awards 2004 and Masala Board Semi- Annual Awards 2005 in the Masala Board Showcase Thread of the Threads - Help subforum Category.
PS: If you feel its helpful to you, do not forget to add reps n rating before leaving.